Sunday, March 27, 2011
No-Cook Tomato Sauce with Olives
This is one of my favourite no-cook pasta ‘sauces’. I’ve always had one ingredient missing (capers) whenever I seem to have the rest of the ingredients in the house, but even without capers it still tastes good. The proper title is ‘Spaghetti with Fresh Tomato Sauce’ and it’s from the Essential Vegetarian Cookbook by Murdoch books.
What you’ll need:
* 4 spring onions, chopped so finely it’s almost minced
* 4 firm ripe tomatoes (or 250g cherry tomatoes, halved).
* 8 stuffed green olives (or more – I used lots as we love olives, stuffed or otherwise) halved
* 2 tablespoons capers (didn’t have it)
* 2 cloves garlic, crushed
* ½ teaspoon dried oregano
* 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
* 1/3 cup olive oil
* 500g spaghetti or other dried pasta
What to do:
Except for the pasta, mix all ingredients (previously chopped, halved etc) and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Cook and drain pasta according to packet instructions (or until you remember the pasta is still on the stove). Add cold sauce to hot pasta, mix well. (The books suggests, adding 1/3 cup of fresh basil leaves but I haven’t tried that yet…).